Bored of Arrabbiata or finding the Alfredo sauce too heavy for your tummy, let’s enjoy the refreshing and vibrant pesto sauce with your Italian dishes.
Ever since I tasted pesto sauce, I am in love with it. Each ingredient leaves a distinct lingering flavor on your palate and together it creates a wonderful gastronomic journey to relish.
The versatility of this sauce is immense making me love it all the more. Create a twist by adding it to your bruschetta mix or add it to your aglio olio pasta, it never fails to impress you. My mother in law loves the classic basil pesto pasta I cook, but I often try to experiment with different ingredients as so to surprise her every time she eats this sauce. Besides using basil you can also try adding arugula or spinach to explore different flavors.
You can definitely store (refrigerate) the pesto sauce in your mason jars which comes handy when you don’t feel like cooking it from the scratch. However a word of caution – do not add cheese if you plan to store it. Add cheese and salt when you want to use the sauce. Do not expose the the pesto sauce to air since it loses its lush green color.
So don’t wait, grab the ingredients and make this flavorful sauce for your friends and family.
INGREDIENTS: (1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 large bunches basil leaves
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Sardo
- Kosher salt and freshly grounded black pepper, to taste
- Combine garlic, basil leaves and pine nuts in a food processor until coarsely chopped.
- Add olive oil and make a smooth paste in the food processor.
- Add the two cheeses and blend until fully incorporated.
- Mix salt and black pepper before serving.
Enjoy the freshness and forget the store bought pesto sauce!